The Quarterly No. 47 - July 2003

Paper-mills and Paper-makers in Wales 1700-1900: part one - Alun Eirug Davies

A survey of the evidence for paper-mills and paper-makers in Wales reprinted from the National Library of Wales Journal, Vol. XV, Summer 1967. This first part covers the counties of Brecknockshire; Caernarvonshire; Carmarthenshire; Denbighshire and Flintshire.

9 pages, tables

Edward Lhuyd and Asbestos Paper - Brian H Davies

Edward Lhuyd is perhaps best known for his contributions to Welsh, Celtic and other cultures as a botanist, geologist, antiquary and philologist, fellow of Jesus College, Oxford, and second keeper of the Ashmolean Museum. However, paper historians should also remember him as a pioneer in the development of making paper from asbestos as an alternative to linen.

2 pages, illustrated

British Paper Mills: Carmarthen Paper Mill - Terry Wells

The owner of this mill, the Rev David Charles, was better known for his activities as a Calvinistic Methodist minister, hymn-writer and rope-maker. He was succeeded by his son, David, in 1834. This article is a short account of the existence of this mill for around sixty years from the end of the eighteenth century to the middle of the nineteenth century. 

3  pages, illustrated

British Bibliography of Paper History and Watermark Studies No 10, 2002 - Andrew Honey

Listing of articles concerned with papermaking published in 2002, with addenda to Bibliography No 9, 2001.

3 pages

OWP Pasteboard

Illustration of the verso of a sheet of pasteboard produced by the O.W. Paper & Arts Co. Ltd. for painting in watercolour.


1 page

Index to The Quarterly Nos 41-44 - Terry Wells

The index is arranged in nine categories: Articles by author; Articles by title; Book reviews; General index; Illustrations; Papermakers; Paper mills; Tipped-in paper samples; Watermarks. The Watermarks index is further divided into those that are illustrated and those that are mentioned in the text.

14 pages

The Cambridge Papers (part three)

St Neots and the Paper Industry - B Rowland

The mill at St Neots has a history of around five hundred years, however, it is from 1804 when the mill was leased to a firm of papermakers consisting of Henry & Sealy Fourdrinier and John Gamble that it becomes of interest to paper historians. The mill is considered with having the first successful commercial continuous papermaking machine, installed in 1807. This article outlines the history of the mill from 1804 to date. There is also a brief history of The Samuel Jones Company, famous for the Camberwell Beauty trade mark, in an appendix.

6 pages, illustrated, appendix

Forgery and Fraud: The Part Paper has Played in Some Recent Cases - Peter Bower

A discussion of two cases: a group of supposed nineteenth century watercolours, and $1.2 billion worth of US Treasury Bonds that weren't. The article covers the physical investigation, interpretation of the findings, techniques used by the forgers and emphasises the importance of background research and of collaboration between investigators. Other areas covered include some of the basic dynamics of forging including one of the most important elements of a 'successful' forgery, the manipulation of the victim by the forger

11 pages, illustrated

The Conservation of a 16th Century Wall Map - Penny Jenkins

Early wall maps are extremely rare and relatively little is known about them. This article details the project to conserve and restore a large 16th Century Italian wall map, printed by Mathio Pagano after a drawing by Giovanni Domenico Zorzi. This also gave the opportunity to examine the Northern Italian papers and to gain some insight into how these maps were produced. The author also gives an introduction to exactly what are wall maps.

7 pages, illustrated