The Quarterly No. 16 Supplement - September 1995
Surrey Watermarks - Alan Crocker
Forty paper mills are known to have existed in the historic
county of Surrey, including the modern boroughs of south west
London and a few on Surrey's boundaries with Hampshire and
Sussex. During the last twenty years the author has researched
the history of these mills and collected watermarks from the
twenty four or more which produced hand-made paper. This article
provides a comprehensive list of the watermarks discovered
together with selected tractings. Brief accounts of the relevant
periods of history of the mills are also presented. Mills covered
- On the Upper river Wey: Haslemere Mills, Barford Mills,
- On the Tillingbourne: Chilworth, Albury and Postford
- On the Lower River Wey: Stoke Mill, Bower's Mill, Byfleet
and Ham Haw Mills.
- On the River Mole: Down Mill.
- On the Hogsmill River: Ewell Mill.
- On the River Wandle: Carshalton Mills, Morden and Merton
- On the Neckinger: Neckinger Mill.
A table of the hand-made paper mills is provided with periods of operation, and Appendices of known watermarks in Surrey paper and Surrey papermakers whose marks are not known. Fifty eight watermarks are illustrated.
16 pages, table, maps, illustrated, appendices